Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A Bike, An Adventure, And a New Career: How To Chart a Path To New Professional Adventures

A Bike, An Adventure, And a New Career: How To Chart a Path To New Professional Adventures

January 14, 2014

I am the kind of guy who likes adventure and doing things I haven’t done before. I get a rush from it. And, I enjoy getting other people to try things they never thought they would try. It’s in my DNA.

  The first years of my professional life were spent developing and nurturing a very successful career in sales. I worked for software and technology companies that were creating revolutionary tools that paved the way for the speech and handwriting recognition tools that we are accustomed to using today. 

  As part of my job, I was able to help well-known brands adapt to and leverage these new tools before they became commonplace – it was an adventure in itself for me. But, as time went on, I found myself craving something new and challenging – I was ready for a change.

  So I made the decision to take a short break from my corporate life and go for a motorcycle ride through South America. My plan was to ride for a year – and, when I got back, begin looking for my next adventure. I had some money in savings, a rough plan to finance this exploration and the desire to experience something new. What did I have to lose?
motorcycle riding in ecuador
    Over the next year, I motorcycled through 18 countries, ending in Buenos Aires, Argentina. When the year was up, I unexpectedly found myself deeply in love with South America – Ecuador in particular – and I wasn’t ready to leave......read more: http://blog.linkedin.com/2014/01/14/a-bike-an-adventure-and-a-new-career-how-to-chart-a-path-to-new-professional-adventures/

No comments:

Post a Comment